- Julia Bourke, Emma Werner and Lewis Cain all competed at the Australian Athletics Championships over the past weekend, with various results.
- Bourke threw a distance of 12.67m in the Women Shot Put Open division, to finish in 9th place. There were two International competitors in this division, so this leaves Bourke as the 7th placed in Australia.
Cain competed in the Mens Under 20 Decathlon, with a promising start in the opening events. On day one he competed in the following five events:
- 100metres - 4th place in 11.83 seconds
- Long jump - 4th pace with a distance of 6.54 metres
- Shot put - 5th place with a distance of 9.84 metres
- High jump - 5th place with 1.75 metres height
- 400 metres - 7th place in 56.23 seconds
- 110m hurdles- 6th place in 16.98 seconds
- Discus- 5th place with a distance of 33.53 metres
- Pole vault- 4th place with a height of 3.20 metres
- Toolern Vale karate star Joel Hennessy will be travelling to Croatia in July to compete in the 2015 Youth World Cup. Hennessy will be competing in the Kumite Male Junior 76kg division.
- Prior to this, Hennessy will be competing in the Australian Karate Open in the Junior Male 76kg and the Junior male open weight divisions. This tournament will be held on Thursday 9 April in Sydney.
Hennessy received a silver medal at the Australian Open in 2014 after 8 months out with stress fractures to his feet. He was previously a member of the Youth World Cup side in 2013, with Australia not fielding a side in 2014.
- Ben DeBortoli and Max Noble have also been selected in the 2015 Youth World Cup, with both athletes to compete in the Under 14/15 division in the 70kg weight division and the 14/15 Open weight division.
- Ararat Clay Target Shooter Tom Pilgrim competed in the 2015 National Trap Championships in Wagga Wagga over 20-29 March. Held at the National Shooting Grounds in Wagga Wagga, Pilgrim finished his week with a Bronze medal in the Juniors final event.
During the week-long event, Pilgrim placed fourth in the Juniors Double Barrel event. With Australian selection on the line, the pressure was on all shooters to be at their best.
- Gymnast Hudson Irwin competed at the State Team Trial event over the weekend. Competing in a mixed event of Under 15 and Under 17 competitors, Irwin came in third place, mixing it with some older and more experienced competitors. Only 6 of the 11 competitors in the event will make it into the Victorian Team.
The trial competition will be held in two weeks, over 11-12 April.
- Ballarat swimmers will be competing at the Open and Age Swimming Championships at Sydney’s Olympic Park from 6-12 and 13-19 April respectively.
- In the Open division, Maaike Vrij will compete in the 100m Breaststroke and the 50m Freestyle. Winona Hoffman will compete in the Womens 50m Backstroke.
- The Age Championships will see Josh Brien compete in the 14yo Boys 200m Backstroke and 14yo Boys 100m Backstroke. Matt Jenkins will swim in the 16yo Boys 50m Freestyle.