At the Australian Open Karate Championships held in Liverpool, NSW over the weekend locals Ben DeBortoli, Max Noble and Joel Hennessy were awarded the following medals:
- Ben won GOLD in his weight division (Junior minus 76kg) and SILVER in the junior open weight division.
- Max won GOLD in his weight division (Junior plus 76kg) long with GOLD in the Schools and University Championship in his weight division (Junior plus 76kg)
- Joel took home a BRONZE medal in the senior weight division (minus 84kg). He fought really well over the weekend narrowly missing out on finals in the under 21 weight division (minus 84kg) and defeating top ranked international athletes.
In the “2016 Australian National Para Table Tennis Championships” held in Perth from 15 April to 19 April local athlete Rory Carroll competed and achieved fantastic results:
- BRONZE medal in Class 11 (Intellectual Disability) & Deaf Combined Singles against Fijis top player in a 5 set match.
- GOLD medal in Class 11 (Intellectual Disability) & Deaf Combined Doubles with partner Sam Von Einem
- SILVER medal in Class 11 (Intellectual Disability) teams event with John Bird of Geelong
Local athlete Jack Carr is currently competing in the “Mayfair Pools 2016 New Zealand Age Group Championships” achieving some great results already:
- 200m freestyle he made finals and finished 9th
- 50m butterfly he took home a SILVER Medal in the final
- 200m individual medley and 50m freestyle he finished 11th
This weekend cyclist Sam Warren is heading to Adelaide to compete in the “Junior Tour”, we wish him all the best and look forward to some great results..
All athletes are supported via a range of services; primarily gym programming and coaching for strength and conditioning, sport psychology, nutrition and other personal development
Academy Executive Officer Rob Ward congratulated all athletes on their achievements; “All of these young athletes have again turned in exceptional performances at a major meet; many of them backing up from great performances in key lead up events. We look forward to continuing to work with them and their supporters to deliver specialist services to help them succeed”.
FedUni WestVic Academy of Sport currently supports 125 athletes across 22 sports.
For further information, please contact Academy Executive Officer Rob Ward on 0417 044 419.