Sunday’s main race for Girls at the Head of the Lake Rowing Regatta featured WestVic-supported athletes in the first two boats across the line, with Loreto’s Laura Foley and Damascus’ Maddie Lamb, Millie Hockey and Erin Gore all being part the WestVic Rowing program in 2016/2017, having opportunities to train with VIS athletes and coaches pre-season and have strength and conditioning support in-season.
Individual athletes Jack Denahy (Boxing) and Ryan Jans (Mountain Biking) each claimed medals in major competitions. Jack securing SILVER in the 60kg Elite Age State Boxing Championships and with that securing his place at April’s National Championships; while Ryan claimed BRONZE in his category and 6th overall (of 400 riders) at the Otway Odessey 50km race.
At the Australian Junior Track Cycling Championships, two athletes from the WestVic-Bacchus Marsh Grammar program each collected a number of medal and top performances:
- Graeme Frislie – GOLD in Time Trial, Individual Sprint (including a new National Record in qualifying) and Team Pursuit; SILVER in Team Sprint and BRONZE in Keiren.
- Elizabeth Nuspan – BRONZE in Team Sprint, with top-7 finishes in all of: Team Pursuit, Scratch Race and Individual Sprint.
- Elizabeth backed up and competed Sunday at the Victorian Road Criterium Championship, winning in the Under 17 Womens Category; successfully defending her 2016 win.
Fellow Cyclists in the WestVic program, Belinda Bailey and Shannon Craggill also competed in the Road Criterium Championships, with Belinda winning the Womens Under 13s and Shannon taking Silver in Womens Under 15s.
The first weekend of the Victorian Track & Field Championships saw many finals appearances from WestVic athletes, led by Sam Rizzo and Jemma Peart. Full summary of results:
- Sam Rizzo – GOLD in mixed-category Wheelchair Sprint 1500m and SILVER in both 100m & 400m
- Jemma Peart – SILVER in Under 17 Female 5000m Walk; taking 37 seconds off her PB.
- Abby Bicknell – 4th in Under 16s Discuss and 5th in Javelin; a superb effort coming off injury.
- Sophie McMinimee – 6th in Under 17 1500m; brother Ethan 9th in Under 16 1500m.
In Little Athletics action, Racewalkers Keelan Perry and Alanna Peart have secured State Title berths.
WestVic Academy of Sport currently supports 125 athletes across 20 sports; all of whom access services such as: specialist coaching; weekly strength and conditioning; sport science opportunities; sport psychology, nutrition and other personal development; plus athlete mentoring. In 2016, 52 athletes supported by WestVic competed at National level or equivalent in their sport.
For further information, please contact Academy Executive Officer Rob Ward on 0417 044 419.